When a child is sick, his needs double: he must feel the love of his parents and the attentions of a doctor who treats him with respect and consideration during visits and therapies.
A three-way relationship
"Between little patient, doctor and parents one is established "three-way" relationship delicate because the parties involved are all very involved from a psychological point of view ", explains the professor Paolo Nucci, Chairman of the Del Paesena Society of Pediatric Ophthalmology and author together with Stefano Zecchi, philosopher and writer, of the book Help me to understand it (Lastaria edizioni).
"The doctor holds the scientific knowledge and is responsible for the care, the parent is anxious and worried, the child is in pain and needs to be made comfortable in a difficult situation, between visits, needles and annoying treatments", continues the professor Nucci. "So it is essential that a positive synergy is established, otherwise the therapy will not have the hoped-for success".
Obviously, in this triangle, adults are called to make an extra effort in trying to reassure the child, already tried and frightened by the disease. "I am a father too, I can identify with the concern of those who enter my office, but it is important that parents learn to keep anxiety at bay and give the doctor all the useful information", continues Professor Paolo Nucci.
The password is therefore collaboration with the specialist: below, you will find tips for having a good relationship with him.
SEE ALSO THE PHOTO GALLERY:12 PHOTOS
First aid, 12 situations in which it is necessary to bring the childrengo to the gallery
When should children be taken to the emergency room? Here are 24 situations that require an emergency visit. Sources: Indications from Simeup (Società Del Paesena di ...
The six rules
1) Do not challenge the doctor by countering his explanations with information found on the web: it can be an irritating attitude that does not favor collaboration.
2) If you have any doubts, immediately ask for them to be clarified. Don't leave the studio with a head full of question marks that you can't solve on your own.
3) Let the doctor do his job, without judging him a priori. For example, if he needs to consult other colleagues to handle a complicated case, don't convince yourself that he is not prepared or competent, it is just part of medical practice.
4) Avoid arguing with your husband in front of the doctor: the illness of a child can put a strain on the couple, but it is not the case to involve the doctor by asking him to side with one or the other.
5) Show up for visits on time. It is not a detail because you risk making other parents wait, and, above all, not having all the necessary attention from the doctor.
6) Stop your child if he takes too many liberties with the specialist: what a parent can tolerate, is not acceptable to a professional.
SEE ALSO THE PHOTO GALLERY:17 PHOTOS
The "health balances" from the first month to the 14 years: this is what they consist ofgo to the gallery
Health balances are a series of checks that the doctor carries out to evaluate the psychophysical development of the child. It is the individual regions (sometimes the individual Asl) that establish exactly ...TAG:
- child and doctor
- child to the doctor
- 1-2 children years