Bites of insects and children
The warm season and the days that get longer lead us not only to enjoy more outdoor trips, long sunny days, but also to run the risk of being bitten or stung by annoying insects that buzz around us. A risk that we run, but especially in our children, between a run on a flowery meadow and a new pebble to move and discover. In this guide we will try to illustrate all the insect bites most common and i remedies for the post-sting (adding arachnids, such as spiders and scorpions, to the list as well).
In this article
- bees, wasps and hornets
- sand flies
- bed bugs
The most common insect, and for some the most annoying, is one of the sworn enemies of mothers in the summer. The remedies to prevent mosquito bites in children they are based on natural substances, such as lemongrass, and can also be used on clothes.
- How to recognize a mosquito bite: it is a small wheal with a roundish shape of a reddish color.
- The remedies: to soothe the itch you can apply a calendula-based ointment or other natural ointments specific for children. In more serious cases, the pediatrician may prescribe an antihistamine ointment and, in the presence of infection, an antibiotic cream.
Mosquitoes and pregnancy: what precautions should you take?
Repellents to be applied to the skin
Let's start with the products to be applied to the skin, in the various possible formulations: sprays, wipes, gels, lotion. Among the active ingredients that can be found most commonly in these products we find
- il deet (dietiltoluamide),
- l'icaridina (the picaridin),
- il PMD (paramatandiol or Citrodiol, derived from a eucalyptus extract).
Other products, generally presented as "natural", contain essential oils with supposed repellent activity, for example
- geranium oils,
- tea tree,
Many of these products can use safely even during pregnancy.
For icaridin, PMD and above all Deet - also recommended by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta and by the American Obstetric Gynecologists Association - it is the green light for use in pregnancy.
As for natural products, there are none, neither on animals nor on humans.
We do not always manage to notice the tick bite because this insect can also remain attached to the body for days. For this reason, after a walk in the woods or in the greenery it is good to carefully observe the whole body.
- How to recognize a tick bite: the tick bite usually causes neither pain nor itching.
- The remedies: if we notice the presence of a tick we must remove it using pliers to detach it without crushing it. After that, the area must be disinfected. The bite it often goes unnoticed, because it causes neither pain nor itching: a tick can remain attached for days to suck the blood of its unfortunate host. If we discover the presence of a tick on the body, we must make sure that we are covered with the tetanus vaccination and keep the affected area under observation: if there has been transmission of the Lyme disease, a ring-shaped erythema will appear that gets wider and wider and in this case you should contact your doctor immediately.
Lyme disease (borreliosis) it's a infectious disease caused by a bacterium that is transmitted through the bite of infected ticks. The first symptom is the so-called erythema migran, a red rash that spreads more and more. It is necessary to intervene promptly to prevent the skin, heart, nervous system, brain, eyes and joints from being involved. Lyme disease is effectively treated with antibiotics.
Fleas are parasites common affecting pets, but not limited to, and which can also sting humans.
- How to recognize flea bites: it looks like a small reddish wheal and generally several are found in nearby points. They are not dangerous but if you scratch too much they can cause infections on the skin.
- The remedies: the best way to intervene is to prevent the presence of fleas in the house by using special products for dogs and cats.
Sting of bees, wasps and hornets
The sting of these insects in itself is not dangerous - even if it can be very painful - but it can cause allergic reactions in predisposed subjects and in these cases it is necessary to intervene immediately.
- How to recognize the sting: First, it causes intense pain, followed by itching, redness and swelling. If the bee has left its stinger embedded in the skin it appears as a black dot. Wasps and hornets, on the other hand, do not leave the sting but hold it back.
- The remedies: if there is still the sting it must be extracted with a sterile needle or tweezers. To soothe the discomfort of the sting, an ice pack can be used and an antihistamine cream can be applied, combined with paracetamol in case of stronger pain. Go to the emergency room immediately in case of breathing difficulties, paleness, intense sweating.
Insect stings and bites: a small guide to recognize, manage and avoid themgo to the gallery
In spring and summer, as we know, insects swarm. From "banal" mosquitoes to scorpions, here are those who threaten children (and others), with some useful information on how ...
Sting of gadfly
Famous as “Horse fly"The gadfly strikes and annoys especially in the hot months.
- How to recognize the gadfly sting: causes immediate burning, with intense itching, and the appearance of a small reddish wheal, with swelling and redness and in some cases also the production of pus.
- The remediesIt is important to try to relieve itching because scratching can lead to infections. Therefore, antihistamine and soothing ointments and ice packs can be used.
Sting of sand flies
These insects look like whitish, fuzzy mosquitoes and sting mostly at night.
- The remedies: the sting causes discomfort and itching and can be a vehicle for viruses that cause a mild form of fever accompanied by headache and muscle pain, in this case it is good to contact the pediatrician.
It is difficult to meet in our country the classic super poisonous scorpion that we see in films, however they exist even if, as the entomologist explains Moreno Dutto,they have a mild venom, not comparable in toxicity to that of African or American scorpions
- How to recognize a scorpion sting: the sting causes pain, swelling and redness.
- The remedies: first of all, to reduce the risk of stings, we avoid walking barefoot in places at risk and do not put our hands under stones or in holes. After the puncture we can apply some ice wrapped in a cloth, or take painkillers if prescribed by the doctor. If more severe symptoms appear that may suggest an allergic reaction, go to the emergency room immediately.
Bed bug bite
These small insects can colonize mattresses, pillows, curtains, upholstery, but also walls and baseboards.
- How to recognize a bed bug bite: they usually strike at night and upon awakening we can find a row of small red wheals that cause intense itching.
- The remedies: your doctor will likely prescribe cortisones, antihistamines, or skin disinfectants.
True, spiders like scorpions are not insects but arachnids. Their sting is not nice and we have decided to put them on this list. They can bite and release digestive substances that cause inflammation locally.
- How to recognize a spider bite: Usually the spider causes small ulcers with pain and swelling.
- The remedies: it is important to monitor the progress of the sting and contact your doctor if more serious symptoms occur.
- insect bites children
- 1-2 children years