Sixth month of pregnancy: what happens?
Il sixth month of pregnancy has arrived. Half of the pregnancy has been overcome, the belly is now clearly visible to everyone and the baby or girl makes themselves felt inside the belly with the first movements and the first football. The sixth is the last month of the second quarter. A month of great emotions, a rather quiet month - also as regards the visits to be made - in which the child is now almost fully formed, he must have only the time necessary to grow.
Let's see in detail what happens in the sixth month of pregnancy. How the mother changes, how the child changes and what are the precautions to have.
In this article
- Symptoms of the sixth month of pregnancy
- Exams in the sixth month of pregnancy
- Belly and weight in the sixth month of pregnancy
- Movements of the baby in the sixth month of pregnancy
- What happens to the baby in the sixth month of pregnancy
- Dos and don'ts in the sixth month of pregnancy
- The weeks of pregnancy
- All months of pregnancy
Symptoms of the sixth month of pregnancy
The sixth month is one of the most beautiful for the expectant mother. The belly is there but it still doesn't weigh, there is the energy to do everything (always without exaggerating), you begin to feel the baby's movements, but this is also the month in which the first uterine contractions can occur.
The expecting woman can hear in the day the hardened belly, without experiencing any pain. The contraction lasts about 30-60 seconds and is determined by the movements of the baby or the mother, but don't worry. The contractions that the mother feels have nothing to do with those of labor. These are the so-called Braxton Hicks contractions, also called "false contractions", necessary for the growth of the baby and to prepare the woman for childbirth.
The gynecologist, in this phase of pregnancy, can prescribe magnesium to the mother which has the task of relaxing the muscles and the uterus, reducing contractions.
Other symptoms that mom may experience in the sixth month of pregnancy include:
- pain in the gums
- pain in the feet and legs
- leg cramps
- varicose veins
- back pain (exercises to strengthen the back during pregnancy)
- frequent urination
Exams in the sixth month of pregnancy
Arriving at the sixth month of pregnancy, future mothers have undergone a morphological ultrasound and will have to take care to do the usual routine tests, therefore those of blood, urine and the monthly gynecological examination.
The next important appointment will be the glycemic curve that is performed in the third trimester of pregnancy.
Belly and weight in the sixth month of pregnancy
In the sixth month, the belly is clearly visible and the future mother inevitably gains a few pounds. If a healthy and varied diet was followed in the first and second trimester, the mother in the sixth month of pregnancy should have gained about 6 kilos. If these were 1-2 more, however, there is no need to worry, since the weight can vary from mother to mother also based on the size and metabolism.
Movements of the baby in the sixth month of pregnancy
If some mothers, especially those who are not in their first pregnancy, have already started to feel some movement in the belly, it is the sixth month that everyone experiences the excitement of the first football of the baby or the baby on the way. Recognizing them is simple and it is possible to feel the movements of the fetus especially when lying down or sitting and not moving.
You no longer hear simple rustles, similar to a flapping of wings, but real strokes and movements of the child who turns around in the belly. A unique emotion for every mother. Not only that: even the father, the siblings, the grandparents, placing their hand on the belly, will be able to feel the movements of the little one.
The sixth month of pregnancy is the first in which the mother can begin to track the movements of the baby, to realize that everything is going well.
What happens to the baby in the sixth month of pregnancy
The baby in the sixth month of pregnancy gains weight week after week. The skin is covered with hollow paint that protects it within the amniotic fluid.
The little one begins to close his eyes, moves and sleeps most of the time. In addition, towards the end of the sixth month, around the 26th week, the lungs begin to secrete a chemical substance called surfactant, which is essential for the development of the tiny air sacs inside the lungs.
At this moment of pregnancy, as the same morphology identified at the end of the fifth month, everyone vital organs are developed, only the respiratory system still needs a few weeks to fully form.
Dos and don'ts in the sixth month of pregnancy
Let's see what are the main precautions to have in the sixth month of pregnancy and, therefore, the things that the future mother must do and not do:
- You MUST start a preparatory course (ask your gynecologist for advice)
- MUST NOT eat for two, but eat a balanced diet
- You MUST NOT skip meals and always include healthy snacks (such as fresh fruit) in your daily diet
- You MUST NOT forget to spread anti-stretch mark oil or cream on your hips, breasts and stomach every day
- You MUST NOT forget to take the vitamins prescribed by the gynecologist, essential for the growth of the fetus
- You MUST NOT take too much caffeine, do not drink alcohol, smoke
- YOU SHOULD NOT underestimate dental problems and red gums (which can occur in pregnancy)
- You MUST NOT get too tired or make special efforts
- YOU MUST NOT expose yourself to harmful substances
- You MUST NOT lead a too sedentary lifestyle: we recommend a walk a day and some adequate physical activity (yoga, stretching, pilates)
- You MUST start doing early breathing exercises (which can help at the time of labor)
- You MUST NOT underestimate pain in the legs and back and do massages, stretching and relaxation exercises
- MUST undergo routine medical examinations
This is also the ideal month to start preparing everything you need for the baby's arrival. Doing things calmly and carefully is definitely the best choice.
The weeks of pregnancy
The sixth month of pregnancy begins at 22th week and ends at 26th week and 2 days.
This is the last month of the second trimester of pregnancy. A month of great emotions, changes, which brings the mother straight to the last trimester, the third of her, the one that will lead her to meet her baby or her baby
All months of pregnancy
First month of pregnancy
Second month of pregnancy
Third month of pregnancy
Fourth month of pregnancy
Fifth month of pregnancy
Sixth month of pregnancy
Seventh month of pregnancy
Eighth month of pregnancy
Ninth month of pregnancy