In these difficult days due to the epidemiological emergency in Del Paese and in the rest of Europe, children and young people spend their days at home. In this context, certainly a moment of great sharing is the one linked to the morning and afternoon snack.
Snack time has both a nutritional and educational role. In fact, during the day, the nutritional snack should always be encouraged because it is good for you and, at the same time, it can be a moment of serenity and sharing with the family, which has a very positive emotional impact.
In this regard, Dr. , nutritionist and pedagogist of the Bambino Gesù Pediatric Hospital, said that "The snack at home in these days represents, all the more reason, a moment of dialogue and discussion between parents and children, an opportunity to educate the little ones to follow some rules that can improve their nutrition. It is great for not get too hungry to the next meal and not to fall into the temptation of messy and unhealthy snacks.
For example, preparing a snack together is the most useful way to understand the portions and what to choose: for this reason it is advisable to ensure that the children enter the kitchen and that they are present when you choose what to eat. Preparing and consuming together a fruit salad, a small sandwich, biscuits, a small slice of tart or donut or a packaged oven snack is a way for the child to learn by example what it is best to eat at that time of day. ".
Having said that, here are some suggestions for parents on how snacks for children and teenagers should be, taken from the vademecum of Union Del Paesena Food, published on the website www.merendineDel Paesene.com - Let's have a snack? and created in collaboration with theInfant Jesus Institute for Child and Adolescent Health.
In particular, on the site there is a "manifesto" that with eight words defines the snack, a typical Del Paeseno snack, and a weekly schedule for parents, with 56 combinations divided by 4 age groups (4-6 years, 7-11 years, 12-14 years, 15-17 years) to make your children always have a different snack.
Read also: Healthy diet for the whole family
- tips for a healthy and nutritious afternoon snack;
- what to eat as a snack ?;
- snacks and sweets: yes or no ?;
- snacks vary according to the age of the child.
According to the "snack manifesto" there are eight words that summarize the rules for doing it in the most correct way:
- and serene.
Here, however, are the most important suggestions on how the snack should be.
- TWICE A DAY AND WITH RIGHT PORTIONS. First of all, a snack is a good habit and must be done every day and twice a day and it must be adapted to energy needs age of the child or boy. At the same time it must not weigh down so it is forbidden to overdo it: portioning of packaged desserts can be helpful as it allows you to have a predetermined calorie content, indicated on the label.
- NEVER SKIP IT AND DO NOT REPEAT IT EVERY DAY THE SAME. In order not to get too hungry at the following meals, it is also good never skip the snack. Another secret to doing it correctly is never to repeat it the same every day so taking in different nutrients is essential
- SWEET AND ALSO SALTY. Yes to moderate consumption of homemade desserts and snacks together with salty foods such as a slice of bread with oil and tomato: it is important accustom children and young people to different flavors.
- LIVE IT WITH TRANQUILITY. Finally, it is important to remember that the snack is a moment to live with the right calm: all the more reason today ...
Remember that it is advisable to prefer fruit, such as, for example, kiwis, apples, blueberries, oranges, bananas, almonds, hazelnuts and much more. According to the indications in this regard of the Infant Jesus Institute the fruit (fresh and dry) it is the cornerstone of the snack and should be consumed every day.
At the same time the pairings made in Let's have a snack? highlight the importance of alternating all foods, sweet and savory, such as yogurt, bread, homemade or packaged desserts, sandwiches with cheeses, meats and vegetables, ice cream and smoothies, biscuits and chocolate.
They are also valid innovative proposals suitable for a vegetarian diet such as "white pizza with chickpea hummus and tomatoes". Or theintroduction of vegetables in snack proposals containing food of animal origin, for example in the classic sandwich with sliced (with rocket).Read also: How to make children love (and eat) vegetables
The Bambino Gesù Institute for Child and Adolescent Health has promoted the consumption of one slice of homemade cake or one Twinkie 1-2 times a week. Under these conditions, snacks or sweets are compatible with the needs of children and teenagers.Read also: 10 DELICIOUS desserts that are good for your health!
Finally, the Infant Jesus Institute for the Health of the Child and Adolescent has specified that there is no snack that is not too nutritious or too nutritious, but that the most important thing is that snacks vary according to the age of the children and energy needs. In particular:
- about 150 Kcal for children 4 - 6 years,
- 200 Kcal for children 7 - 11 years,
- 260 Kcal for children 12 - 15 years
- 285 Kcal for children 15 - 17 years.
To learn more:
- Snack: how to make children do it correctly
- 56 snack proposals for children and teenagers
- healthy nutrition
- children's snacks
- 3-5 children years