In this article
- Twenty-fourth week of pregnancy
- Symptoms of the twenty-fourth week of pregnancy
- Health advice in the XNUMXth week of pregnancy
- The fetus in the twenty-fourth week of pregnancy
Twenty-fourth week of pregnancy
The uterus is as big as a watermelon and the baby's body continues its formation by developing the respiratory system. With the scientific advice of the gynecologist Elisabetta Canitano, president of the non-profit association Vita di donna, let's see what happens to the woman's body and that of the child during the twenty-fourth week of pregnancy.
Read also: Twenty-third week of pregnancy
Symptoms in the twenty-fourth week of pregnancy
Having reached this period of gestation, the expectant mother shows more and more fatigue and breathlessness: after all, the uterus is now very bulky and the baby begins to weigh. Even episodes ofinsomniac and anxiety they become perfectly normal - even for those who have never suffered from it before - since hormonal changes significantly affect mood and quality of rest. Nutrition (no heavy foods, no caffeine) and moderate exercise can help improve the situation.
It is not uncommon then that in these weeks you can experience some vision problems, with eyes that are very sensitive to light and easily irritable. Here, too, the cause is due to pregnancy hormones, which can swell the eyelids and provoke burning in the eyes.
Finally, from the sixth month it is already possible to try a light one breast pain, who is preparing for breastfeeding.
Other frequent symptoms can be:
- stomach ache
- cramps in the lower limbs
- epistaxis (nosebleeds)
Abdominal pain in second trimester pregnancy
In second trimester of pregnancy Abdominal pains can be common, especially those located under the ribs that are caused by the growth of the baby and the push from the uterus, but should not be ignored if accompanied by bleeding and acute cramps.
Towards the end of the second quarter another complication could also arise: the preeclampsia which usually occurs after the twentieth week and which can also cause headaches, swelling of the hands and feet.
Health advice in the XNUMXth week of pregnancy
A good sleep
Sleeping well is always important, but if possible it is even more important during pregnancy. In fact, sleep favors the good mood, allows you to recharge your batteries, prepares you in the most natural and effective way for the joyful but demanding task of taking care of the newborn and breastfeeding it.
Advice: some rules can actually prevent sleep-related problems and are also useful for controlling them in the event that they occur. Here are the main ones.
- Keep in mind that seven hours of night sleep they are more than enough, especially if there is little movement. Sometimes, in fact, insomnia is a false problem, that is, the woman thinks she is suffering from it because she is unable to sleep more than seven hours a night, when perhaps it is precisely this period of time that corresponds to her needs.
- Regularly perform agentle physical activity and make it a habit to take a few steps before going to bed.
- Eat in small quantities at dinner: the rule of small frequent meals it also serves for good sleep. About half an hour before bedtime it can help to fall asleep by consuming a teaspoon of honey with 20 grams of cereals (recommended in case you start falling asleep with difficulty).
- Do not take any sleeping preparations on your own. This obviously applies to benzodiazepines (which are the most commonly used active ingredients for insomnia), but also to melatonin, whose use in pregnancy has not been sufficiently studied to ensure that it is completely harmless for the baby.
Weight gain in pregnancy at the 24th week
Minimum: 4,9 kg; maximum: 7,4 kg
How much weight to take depending on the trimester of pregnancy
Here are the indications if you start from a normal weight situation.
- First trimester of pregnancy: there is no need to eat for two and the weight gain should be minimal. A milestone could be around 1 and 2 kg, although many women sometimes lose weight due to nausea and morning sickness. Others exceed this value because they often try to fight nausea with starchy, high-calorie foods.
- Second trimester of pregnancy: the baby begins to grow more and more and you too will gain a total of 5-7 kg.
- Third trimester of pregnancy: about 0,5 kg per week with a net increase of 3,5-4,5 kg.
It is not a perfect pattern to follow, as long as the increase is slow and steady, both for you and for your baby.
The fetus in the twenty-fourth week of pregnancy
Images of the fetus at 24 weeks of pregnancy
At 24 weeks, the baby is the size of an artichoke or corn on the cob. Here are pictures of a fetus at week 24.
The mother perceives her movements more and more often. Intano the child, who now weighs more or less 500 grams and measure 28-29 centimeters, the sucks the little finger with great vigor and points the feet against the walls of the uterus. Hair sprouts quickly on the head and the small lungs begin to produce surfactant, a substance that at the moment of birth will allow them to expand and perform the acts of spontaneous breathing. However, the respiratory system is not yet fully formed and the baby would not breathe autonomously outside the uterus.
In addition, in recent weeks the brain and the auditory system are sufficiently developed to allow the fetus to perceive external sounds (and therefore also the vocal stimuli of the parents).
Gestational age: six months (DPP CALCULATION - Expected date of delivery)
FONTI: NHS; BabyCenterRead also: 25th week of pregnancy
Questions and answers
Do you feel the baby move in the belly?
At the twenty-fourth week of pregnancy, the baby is very agitated in the belly and the movements are also perceptible from the outside.
What month are we in the twenty-fourth week of pregnancy?
We are in the sixth month of pregnancy.38 PHOTOS
How big is your baby in the belly? As small as a poppy seed or as big as a pumpkingo to the gallery
How big is your baby in the belly? From poppy seed, sesame, to lentil. Then move on to lemon, apple, eggplant, coconut, pineapple and pumpkin! The babycenter.com website ...
Also find out about all the other weeks of pregnancy
We follow the growth of the embryo which then becomes the fetus from first week of pregnancy up to the fortieth. We will see the growth of the fetus and how the body of the expectant mother changes, until the due date is expected. All the useful information on the forty weeks of pregnancy, in the articles a lot of information on the development of the baby, on what is happening to the body and useful advice on the tests to be done based on the calculation of the weeks of pregnancy.
- First week of pregnancy
- Second week of pregnancy
- Third week of pregnancy
- Fourth week of pregnancy
- Fifth week of pregnancy
- Sixth week of pregnancy
- Seventh week of pregnancy
- Eighth week of pregnancy
- Ninth week of pregnancy
- XNUMXth week of pregnancy
- Eleventh week of pregnancy
- Twelfth week of pregnancy
- Thirteenth week of pregnancy
- Fourteenth week of pregnancy
- Fifteenth week of pregnancy
- Sixteenth week of pregnancy
- Seventeenth week of pregnancy
- Eighteenth week of pregnancy
- Nineteenth week of pregnancy
- Twentieth week of pregnancy
- Twenty-first week of pregnancy
- Twenty-second week of pregnancy
- Twenty-third week of pregnancy
- Twenty-fourth week of pregnancy
- Twenty-fifth week of pregnancy
- Twenty-sixth week of pregnancy
- Twenty-seventh week of pregnancy
- Twenty-eighth week of pregnancy
- Twenty-ninth week of pregnancy
- Thirtieth week of pregnancy
- Thirty-first week of pregnancy
- Thirty-second week of pregnancy
- Thirty-third week of pregnancy
- Thirty-fourth week of pregnancy
- Thirty-fifth week of pregnancy
- Thirty-sixth week of pregnancy
- Thirty-seventh week of pregnancy
- Thirty-eighth week of pregnancy
- Thirty-ninth week of pregnancy
- Forty week of pregnancy
- twenty four weeks pregnancy
- twenty-fourth week of pregnancy
- weeks 14 28